Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Running Record

Today I did my first running record, I thought I was well prepared and ready to do it. I had four different levels of passages/books to read but when I actually did it with my kid turns out he needed a level lower than aa level. I could tell my student was very nervous and was struggling with reading. I ended up having to chose an easier aa level to read. He still could not read it on his own so I decided to start off by having us read the book together then he would read by himself the second time. Overall, I could tell he was frustrated and I tried several ways to help him get the words right without saying the actual word. I could tell that he was frustrated because he could not read it independently but he did well and what helped him the most was getting to see the picture and used the pictures to help him figure out what the word was. I also helped him by pointing to the words and giving him examples of what the word was. This was interesting experience for myself, I thought I was fully prepared for this but turns out I was not. Now I know what I have to do for future running records.

6 comments:

  1. This is exactly how we learn, from our trials! It sounds like you worked to make sure he felt success before he left. That's what's most important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This happened to me as well! It is a learning process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lesson that consists of mistakes is a successful lesson because YOU have learned! You also made him feel as if he did a good job. All you can do is learn and keep going! You are going to be great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel ya! I had to do my running record four times and even a Level aa was still hard for them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't expect for the running record to be difficult in a sense of trying to find where our case study student is at, so I completely understand how you felt in that situation. But I'm glad you made sure he felt better rather than feeling worse at the end!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can completely relate to this as well. Running records definitely were more of a challenge then what I "assumed" before. We can both say that we have learned from our mistakes.

    ReplyDelete